how much memmory does this tool free up?

Scythiss

Question

8 answers to this question

I don't really know what you mean by "free up some space" but by my understanding the skse memory tweaks just increases a heap of memory so that more data can be cached and released, ENBoost changes how the texture cache is handled.

Personally, DDSpot is pointless unless you are using a gpu that has >2GB VRAM. 

For the vanilla textures there are several mods that provide vanilla textures that are already optimized, as well as the DDSopt tool which can be used to optimize these. It's unlikely you need to use reduced size vanilla textures unless your graphics card has very low VRAM. For some of the high resolution textures mods, the mod includes versions with smaller textures; these avoid the need to use DDSopt.

Post your system details so we can provide more specific suggestions. What high resolution mods are you using that seem to be causing the problem?

I don't really know what you mean by "free up some space" but by my understanding the skse memory tweaks just increases a heap of memory so that more data can be cached and released, ENBoost changes how the texture cache is handled.

Personally, DDSpot is pointless unless you are using a gpu that has >2GB VRAM. 

To reduce the size of my textures files so my game uses less memory, and you basically answered my question n this single post :P

and my video card has 6gb, too bad two video cards vram don't stack otherwise it would be 12gb!!! :o

For the vanilla textures there are several mods that provide vanilla textures that are already optimized, as well as the DDSopt tool which can be used to optimize these. It's unlikely you need to use reduced size vanilla textures unless your graphics card has very low VRAM. For some of the high resolution textures mods, the mod includes versions with smaller textures; these avoid the need to use DDSopt.

Post your system details so we can provide more specific suggestions. What high resolution mods are you using that seem to be causing the problem?

I truly am thankful to you step guys, you guys are so helpful and willing.  My vid card has 6gb and it isn't just all my 2k and 4k textures it is also tons of mods lol  My heap space runs out of memory.  Both my blokcs fill up and my game will CTD.  It's not a mod conflict just skyrim using all the memory it can.

my specs

windows 10

sli gtx 980 ti

i7 6700k processor

32gb ram

Edited by Scythiss

There are limits to what Skyrim can actually handle, regardless of what your system specs are and all the fixes and tweaks that have been discovered and exploited along the way.

At a certain point, you just have to decide what's the most important to you and trim out the excess.

There are limits to what Skyrim can actually handle, regardless of what your system specs are and all the fixes and tweaks that have been discovered and exploited along the way.

At a certain point, you just have to decide what's the most important to you and trim out the excess.

and sadly that's the point where I am at brother :(

Well, that depends on what you are specifically taking about, since this is a DDSopt subforum, as long as you're somewhat modest there shouldn't be any issues and if there are, then most of the time its some small change that needs to be made.

Can they use a mix of 2k and 4k textures? Yeah, I have a 970 and I am doing fine.

With the vanilla Skyrim textures DDSopt helps with some improvements in graphic quality, primarily in the mipmaps, and in it seems to provide some game stability improvement. With the mods that provide higher resolution textures there are a few that get improvements from using DDSopt; these are usually some older mods or mods such as some quest mods where the texture quality wasn't the highest priority. If you want to reduce texture sizes, particularly normal maps, DDSopt can be used if needed.