CASM Not Working

Barachiel

Question

Me again.  :D

So yeah, CASM doesn't work.  It used to.  It acts like it does.  But it doesn't.  

I can hit F4 once, nothing.  hit F4 twice "CASM is saving" message but no new save.  Hit it again nothing.  I have to hit it a LOT to make it save again.  But no new save.

Incremental saves, not working.  No messages.  

If it wasn't for the fact that it's in my MCM, I woudln't even know it was installed.

I went to the CASM page but none of the help requests there have been answered in over a year, so I'm not wasting my time.

I have NVSE installed (GetNVSEVersion reports version 5), the Steam overlay re-enabled (read in an old thread this was required for nvse to work properly, dunno if I believe that, but i'm desparate).  I've gone back down to to NVSE 4.5.  no fix, and a new error from the Command & Control mod, so reverted back to version 5 beta 2.  Uninstalled and reinstalled.  Still nothing.  

Any ideas what's going on?  

Not sure about FNV, but if this is as in Skyrim :

- If you use enbseries, F4 is also used to free memory or something like that. Switch the hotkey to F6 instead (F5 being already reserved for vanilla quicksave), and you should be alright. (But I have no idea if FNV's CASM can be configured as its skyrim counter-part...  ::P: )

Okay, have a look at the location that it is supposed to be saving to and ensure there is nothing restricting access to it, e.g. AV packages/firewalls/ any other software that is hindering the game/CASM from having access.

Possibly see if you can set the save location to another folder, one that is completely under your user account's control.

It's saving where it always has "Steam\common\steamapps\Fallout New Vegas\Mod Organizer\profiles\F&LiNV\saves"

I've used CASM several times in FO3 and FNV and the location has never been an issue before.

I see no way to change save location either in FNV or CASM.  There is no such setting in CASM and I can find no INI file for the mod in its mod folder. 

Plus New Vegas itself can make saves with the standard system to that same directory. 

EDIT:  I used Mod Organizer to change the save location.  Still no saves being created by CASM.

Edited by Barachiel

I am surprised that CASM even works for you in any way shape or form. I uninstalled it quickly after I got it because everytime it saved my FPS would drop by about 20 frames. It also caused other mods to freeze in their menus and caused game crashing if CASM tried to save while trying to do anything else. The mod is pretty much broken for me with the majority of features in the MCM menu returning to their default settings after me changing them. Some of the features (like saving before combat) don't even work at all. The mod was a good idea but poorly implemented IMO. :\ I don't suggest using it at least for New Vegas. 

I've just now installed it and ran a few minutes of the game and also used F4 to save my game.

Everything for me is working as advertised so there must be an error somewhere in your installation.

Can you look in your FNV folder for the nvse.log & lutana_nvse.log and post them here please. Best to delete all the logs beforehand and then just run it and try to save a game, that way they will be as small as possible.

If NVSE & Lutana and hence CASM are installed correctly you should have entries stating as much.

In particular the nvse.log should have entries like this when CASM makes a save:

Hook_DirectInput8Create_Execute
NVSE DLL DoPreLoadGameHook: systemsave William.fos
Reading mod list from co-save
Loading array variables
Loading strings
NVSE DLL DoLoadGameHook: systemsave William.fos
NVSE DLL DoPostLoadGameHook: systemsave William.fos
NVSE DLL DoSaveGameHook: William - Save 11.fos
saving to .\__MOProfileSave__\William - Save 11.nvse
saving 5 plugins to .\__MOProfileSave__\William - Save 11.nvse

Found the logs.

This is what I'm seeing a lot of.

Reading mod list from co-save
Loading array variables
Loading strings
NVSE DLL DoLoadGameHook: autosave.fos
NVSE DLL DoPostLoadGameHook: autosave.fos
NVSE DLL DoSaveGameHook: David "Killshot" Raynor - Save 15.fos
saving to .\__MOProfileSave__\David "Killshot" Raynor - Save 15.nvse
HandleSaveGame: couldn't create save file (.\__MOProfileSave__\David "Killshot" Raynor - Save 15.nvse)

Well according to the snippet of log you provided, CASM is working, it's something else that is stopping the actual save to that directory.

Can you provide the full logs, perhaps something else might show there? I have to say though, this looks more like interference from outside the game environment, such as AV or Windows stopping the final copy/save process.

Can you pinpoint what is different with your system now compared to when it last worked? Anything no matter how insignificant or unrelated maybe important.