Complete Alchemy and Cooking Overhaul (by kryptopyr)

darkside

I wouldn't call it "laziness".  Is it even possible to make one's mod compatible with every other mod?

I like mods like these because they consume clock when performing an action.  They prevent you from, for instance, making 150 assorted pieces of weaponry in the space of one second.  A bajillion hours will pass with the menu up, and iNeed will starve you to death.  It keeps progression at a more moderate pace and helps prevent becoming too god-like before you even finish the main quest.

As to how they conflict...

From the CACO forum:
"Living Takes Time - not compatible with the Hunger and Fatigue features of CACO. There are also incompatibilities with CACO's cooking system. There does not appear to be any way to fix this without editing LTT's scripts. There is a long discussion of these issues under CACO's bug tab (marked as 'Not a bug')"

It actually not that long.

On the bug report, one user wrote:

"Now here is the problem. When you activate the cook pot or the oven, CACO 'processes' a bunch of ingredients and LTT is interpreting it as Eating. So you can actually waste hours just clicking on the pot and then backing out."

Another user said it's worse than that.

So this is a pretty fundamental problem and I'm not certain there is a fix.  Time Flies (reportedly) has the same issue.  It's more a matter of what is more important to you.

I wouldn't call it "laziness".  Is it even possible to make one's mod compatible with every other mod?

I acknowledge the second point without retracting the first. When you publicly state you hope someone else will fork your mod and make the corrections so you won't have to? I'd understand saying something to the effect of "Don't wanna so I won't", but that other is just... lazy. *shrug* Now, if he'd put it more as "I'm very busy with other projects and RL commitments, and don't have the time... etc" then I think we're back onto not lazy... but that's not what I hear when I read that comment. (As a side note, read that last part of that sentence a few times, and shake your head in amazement as you realize we can now hear written words on the interwebz.) (Also, that last sentence about being too busy, in reality, is most likely the actual reason, I think...)

I can confirm that Time Flies has the same issue: activate cooking pot and a lot of time just evaporates....the mod has the ability to set an activation switch....I chose the letter 'V' and any time I intend to cook I just hit 'V' before I activate the cooking pot and turn it back on when I'm done....I assume 15 minutes per item cooked and advance the clock by waiting when I'm finished cooking....an easy workaround for those who enjoy the other effects.

I can confirm that Time Flies has the same issue: activate cooking pot and a lot of time just evaporates....the mod has the ability to set an activation switch....I chose the letter 'V' and any time I intend to cook I just hit 'V' before I activate the cooking pot and turn it back on when I'm done....I assume 15 minutes per item cooked and advance the clock by waiting when I'm finished cooking....an easy workaround for those who enjoy the other effects.

Is it *just* the cooking that's impacted by the incompatibility?  If so, I like your work around.  Maybe I *can* try running with CACO...

Edited by c0c0c0

Is it *just* the cooking that's impacted by the incompatibility?  If so, I like your work around.  Maybe I *can* try running with CACO...

So far...I haven't done any crafting at the forge since I began this playthrough....reading, learning spells, eating, drinking, waiting, sleeping, using the tanning rack, Hunterborn, Campfire and Frostfall components all work.

Really?  I asked the author about that, thinking he'd have some of the same issues with changes made to ingredients, and he said, and this is a direct quote:  

" So, still no plan to support CACO in the near future."

Are you saying you use it and it works despite his lack of efforts in that regard?

He also added, "Hopefully there will be someone forking this mod and finally support CACO."  Dude *looking* for someone to fork his mod - that's not a great sign.

I might be mistaken (haven't played Skyrim for a while), but Time Flies seemed to work with CACO in terms of it no longer suffering from the CACO-associated bugs (like spending 6+ hours by cooking or an hour from just activating a cooking station). Can't confirm ATM, sorry.

Edited by elenhil

• 1 month later...

First of all, thank you for the mod. As mikegray mentioned on page 12, I have also run into the DC on save game bug. I was running ineed and CACO, and removing one of them fixed the bug. What was interesting that in two games, both games developed the bug on the 4th of Heartfire, around 18 days after the start of the game.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh, this mod is definitely Extended territory! I love this mod, but I don't think we'll accept it for this round. It's about to have a big update drop that will require a new game. I am weary of adding it with this release because STEP v2.10.0 will also likely require a new game with XCE being dropped and others potentially taking it's place. Usually switching out NPC texture mid-game will not go smoothly. I'm hoping to test this, though. All this to say, I don't want to add a mod that will require a new game when it's updated shortly after the Guide's update already requiring a new game.

^Hope that made sense. I'm getting pretty darn tired/sleepy. :wacko:

• 1 year later...

In case there's anyone here using CACO v1.2.1 who hasn't patched the conflicts with their STEP 2.10 installation, I've finally gotten around to updating my CACO_STEP patch on Nexus. There was nothing game breaking about my old patch but now I've implemented support for Cutting Room Floor, Book Covers Skyrim and Animated Weapon Enchants. You can see the few changes in my changelog or sticky post but essentially: CRF adds a drink that now adheres to CACO's rules and BCS now lets CACO's modified alchemy recipes through.

I haven't had a chance to check out CACO v2.0beta yet but I'll see if I can patch that next. Kryp believes it won't require a new game to update from the beta to the full release when that eventually happens after her current project so I'll probably use it for my current playthrough. I wonder how many of you are already using the v2.0beta.

• 8 months later...

Oh, this mod is definitely Extended territory! I love this mod, but I don't think we'll accept it for this round. It's about to have a big update drop that will require a new game. I am weary of adding it with this release because STEP v2.10.0 will also likely require a new game with XCE being dropped and others potentially taking it's place. Usually switching out NPC texture mid-game will not go smoothly. I'm hoping to test this, though. All this to say, I don't want to add a mod that will require a new game when it's updated shortly after the Guide's update already requiring a new game.

Have you considered CACO for v3? It has been ported to SSE now too.

Edited by TorNyan