"Can Not Open Output File" Error

whiskeyii

Question

So I'm trying to install the Epic Halloween Overhaul 2015 mod :https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/24385/?tab=1&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D24385%26preview%3D&pUp=1. I have the Legendary version of Skyrim, so it meets the DLC requirement. I can download all three required files (Music, Main, and Essentials) just fine, but I can only install Main and Music. When I try to install Esssentials, it gets 15% completed before I get this message:

"can not open output file \\?\C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Mod Organizer\mods\2015 Halloween Overhaul - Essentials\meshes\halloween\Treasures\GoldBarrel01?nif"

and the installation aborts and I get a "the installation did not complete" message. I've searched the forums and tried disabling the fomod installer as recommended (heck, ALL the installers, in case that did something), and nada. I've posted on the mod maker's thread already, but thinking on it, it sounded more like a Mod Organizer problem, so I'm posting here. Thoughts?

Edited by whiskeyii

8 answers to this question

Have you tried extracting the files with 7zip (it can extract zip, 7z, and rar files) or similar to see if the archive is good? Looking at the path of the file it's trying to extract, it looks as if it may be corrupt unless "GoldBarrel01?nif" is a typo.

Welcome to STEP.

There are a few things you should consider.

1. Since it is a large download it is possible the actual file was corrupted and will need to be re-downloaded
  2. The file operations may appear to stall and possibly fail if the drive it is taking place on is slow and/or close to full. The progress is done in stages with portions of the file transfer being moved from the temp folder used to unpack the archive and the final installation folder as available RAM is used.
  3. Anti-virus, firewall or other OS level software can interfere with file operations and may need special attention

I have just now grabbed the 'Essentials' file and installed it on my laptop setup, which uses a single HDD, and the progress appeared to stall for a few seconds before continuing, but it did complete the install with no error messages.

So there is no inherent bug with MO and this specific mod and it comes down to an OS level situation.

I check my mods manually before installing them, and I got the "Looks good" text before installing. I'll try re-downloading; I have 5 GB left in my C: drive, so I don't think space is the issue.

EDIT: I re-downloaded twice; once with the manager and once manually. Still didn't work, so I checked the manual contents of the file more closely. By disabling the mesh files that ended in ?nif instead of .nif, I was able to install it. I don't know if this means it's a typo or not, since GrantSP was able to install it without any hassle, but I'll take what I can get. Renaming those files within the .zip archive to have the proper extension also works if I import the mod to install it.

I'll test it later tonight to see if it loaded properly. I'll mark this as solved if it does.

Edited by whiskeyii

I examined my installation and the files logged in post as having a '?' in them are actually named using an extended ASCII character and that may be bugging out on your system.

That GoldBarrel nif is called in my install: GoldBarrel01°.nif.

There are in fact all these files named similarly:

GoldPot02°.nif
GoldPot01°.nif
GoldBarrelDwe°.nif
GoldBarrel02°.nif
GoldBarrel01°.nif
TrRavenGold°.nif
TrStars°.nif

Now since I only downloaded the one file and not the Main file with the plugin, I can't say if those files are called correctly in it or this is an error of naming. You might like to examine the plugin with xEdit to see if they are correct.

Since the actual file operations to copy those files will be using system calls, can you provide us with details about your system?
Are you using an English version of Windows? Which one, Win 7, 8.1, 10? Anything else you think might be pertinent.

Just to double check: I'd never heard of XEdit, but looking it up in relation to Skyrim leads me to TES5Edit. Are they one and the same?

I'm not sure what kind of information you'd need (I'm not very computer literate when it comes to hardware), but I use an HP h9-1215t desktop, with an English Windows 7 64-bit installed. My processor is an Intel i7-3770K, though I don't usually overclock it. For what it's worth, it seems like the Halloween mod installed just fine in towns and the surrounding areas when I renamed the files, though I believe there is a dungeon installed alongside the mod, so that might be where the Treasure meshes show up.

Edited by whiskeyii

xEdit == TES5Edit == FO3Edit == FNVEdit == TES4Edit

All the same programme, just renamed to use for different games.

You are using an English version of Win7 64bit so I can't immediately see where the difference lies in your system to mine. However there does look to be an issue with way the OS is handling those files.

I just checked the plugin and it is explicitly calling those files named as I have them in my last comment. If you have renamed them you will need to reverse those changes.

You might also like to ask the author why they named them such. I see no reason to do so as there isn't any possible conflict issues with similarly named files.

Aha, found it! Your mention of it being in English triggered it. For some reason, my system locale was set to Chinese. :O_o: Can't figure out how it happened, but switching it back to English fixed it; I can see the degree symbol now. So, even though it was roundabout and indirect, thanks for helping!

Edited by whiskeyii