Difficulty following the Quick-Start Guide for FO3.

Hazzerone

Question

Okay so I've been meticulously following this guide: https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:DDSopt/Fallout

Once I got to "Preparing for Optimization" I chose to go with option 2.

I now have a Vanilla Optimizable Textures folder which contains folders for the DLCs and contains some textures (but oddly nothing from the Fallout_textures - or is it oddly? I don't know)

I also have a Vanilla Optimized folder which is empty.

Now I don't know what the hell I'm supposed to do with my optimizable textures. 

The guide states "If option 1 or 2 is selected, move to the Archive or Move the Optimized Vanilla Texture Files section below after optimization is complete."

Okay, so I go to that part of the guide next and I see this:

"The optimized Vanilla texture files are then ready to be archived into 2-12 archive files for Fallout NV or 1-6 folders for Fallout 3, or alternatively moved without first archiving them. If Mod Organizer is used the archiving step can be eliminated if desired. Move the 2-12 folders for Fallout NVor 1-6 folders for Fallout 3 inside Vanilla Optimized\ to the directory where Mod Organizer stores mods (typically the Mod Organizer\mods\ folder)' and make sure that any folders with optimized DLC textures have names different than the original BSA name."

I want to stress this: "Move the 1-6 folders inside Vanilla Optimized\" I don't have anything in my Vanilla Optimized folder.

Do you want me to move my folders inside my Vanilla Optimizable folder into my Vanilla Optimized folder? Because this sentence could also be read like "move the 1-6 which are inside Vanilla Optimized\" I'm not sure whether you mean that or "Move the 1-6 folders from Vanilla Optimizable\ into Vanilla Optimized\"

Let's assume I am supposed to be shifting these files over... the next part then reads this: "and make sure that any folders with optimized DLC textures have names different than the original BSA name." and "After all archives have been created and confirmed, the optimized vanilla texture archive files can be moved to the downloads directory used for (Mod Organizer."

Okay...so now all of a sudden these vanilla textures are optimized and not optimizable? It seems the optimization step is missing somewhere here? I mean...look at the sub-titles for these sections: 

Preparing for Optimization and then Archive or Move the Optimized Vanilla Texture Files...where is this optimization step!

Is simply switching the folder in which these textures reside making them go from optimizable to being optimized? That makes no sense to me.

I'm so confused...I just want my FO3 to finally run smoothly...

Edited by Hazzerone

3 answers to this question

Optimizing the vanilla textures will likely provide a small difference in game staibility, not a large one.

When you extracted the textures did you get the same file and folder counts as shown in the "File Tree Screenshot of Fallout 3 Vanilla Textures after Extraction" screenshot?

I added some more detail in the optimization guide for those using options 1 or 2. See if these additions answers your questions.

Optimizing the vanilla textures will likely provide a small difference in game staibility, not a large one.

When you extracted the textures did you get the same file and folder counts as shown in the "File Tree Screenshot of Fallout 3 Vanilla Textures after Extraction" screenshot?

I added some more detail in the optimization guide for those using options 1 or 2. See if these additions answers your questions.

I did not get the same folders. Fallout_textures was missing...no idea why...

How should I handle this?

Also thanks for the update to the guide. Now I can actually follow it! :D

Edited by Hazzerone