Cleaning Bethesda ESMs

Yippee38

Question

In the guide, it says:

[quote]Close Mod Organizer.Navigate to Skyrim/Data and move the newly cleaned Bethesda ESM files to <Mod Organizer Path>/Mods/Cleaned Vanilla ESMs.Navigate to <Mod Organizer Path>/overwrite/TES5Edit Backups and move all of the backup files to the Skyrim/Data folder.Rename the .backup* files to their original name such as Update.esm, Dawnguard.esm and so on.Remove the TES5Edit Backups folder from <Mod Organizer Path>/overwrite.[/quote]

When I go to Skyrim/Data, the only .esm file is Skyrim.esm.  In ModOrganizer/Overwrite, there are .esm for all the files I cleaned.  I assume those are the original files.

Am I doing something wrong?

8 answers to this question

With the later versions of both xEdit and MO, and depending on the speed of your drives, the cleaned ESMs are those in the "Overwrite" folder.

You are not doing anything wrong, it just hasn't been updated yet, and some users are still seeing the older behaviour, though that number is dwindling.

Yep that are the ones you are looking for, i had the same problem and went throug all my folders like a maniac, looking for the backups (infact there are 2). Those with the long names are the right ones ^^ thx btw for your post in the DDSpot post, really help me out, cuz i was confused too ( I am still confused xD)

Oops.  Sorry about the double post.  I edited this post, and somehow it made it a second post.  :(

Yep that are the ones you are looking for, i had the same problem and went throug all my folders like a maniac, looking for the backups (infact there are 2). Those with the long names are the right ones ^^ thx btw for your post in the DDSpot post, really help me out, cuz i was confused too ( I am still confused xD)

Glad it helped.  I had a hard time with that too, that's why I wanted to help out other people.

There are a couple of steps in the guide, where if you make one tiny mistake, it will screw up the whole thing.  For example, if you start installing your mods, and have the Vanilla Skyrim profile selected, it screws things up.  I did that yesterday, and had to start over.  Ugh.  The DDSopt thing is another.

My Dawnguard.esm is gone also (I'm using SSD so it's not always a HDD problem), but as stated in the step guide, Dawnguard needs to be cleaned twice, so how to clean it the second time?

Because when restoring the Dawnguard.esm from the backup (since it's gone after the first cleanup) will introduce the same old , not cleaned version again. So how can it be cleaned twice?

How do i proceed ? 

After reading the part of the cleaning over and over again, I conclude that the second time, Dawnguard.esm apparently doesn't have to be in the Skyrim/Data folder anymore. Executing Tes5Edit again, shows the Dawnguard.esm. But how does this work, perhaps it uses the backup one in the overwrite?

Can anybody explain?

The one in the backups folder is the original uncleaned one. Those are the ones you restore back to Skyrim/Data and rename.

The ones in the OVERWRITE folder are the cleaned ones. They're the ones you put in a folder named Cleaned Vanilla ESMs.

The reason you see Dawnguard.esm showing up in TES5Edit is cause it's loading the one that's in the OVERWRITE.

So to clean it the second time, just clean that one, and you should be fine.