Fallout 4 General and Mod Discussion. It Just Works!

Started with the vanilla lady character, but changed the hair to a different style. Didn't want to mess with it to much because I used to spend like a hour on that stuff with Skyrim. I picked up that military hat, Green Beret style, with some regular eye glasses. They I found that sweater vest and slacks to go full art house hipster.

Inconceivable! I need a sit down. So you didn't create a fist fighting trash bandit? Good Lord above.

Next Grant will tell me he didn't create a guy with who just wears flip-flops and has a deep orange tan.

By the way, what would modding be like without these script extenders? Would be have none of the mods previously like the UI ones at all, or would they just lose a lot of features? Most mods I see that use them are HUD and UI, with a few needs mods thrown in. Mind you I don't possibly notice others as I always run through a extender.

Inconceivable! I need a sit down. So you didn't create a fist fighting trash bandit? Good Lord above.

Next Grant will tell me he didn't create a guy with who just wears flip-flops and has a deep orange tan.

By the way, what would modding be like without these script extenders? Would be have none of the mods previously like the UI ones at all, or would they just lose a lot of features? Most mods I see that use them are HUD and UI, with a few needs mods thrown in. Mind you I don't possibly notice others as I always run through a extender.

Correct. The script extenders allow for the MCM menu which allows for so much more. The UI isn't entirely done with the script extender. DarnUI for FO3 and FNV were done by modifying a ton of XML docs. Those don't exist anymore. I think they use SWF files now, which I know nothing about.

So, that thing i said about waiting for the GOTY bundle, that lasted all of 4 days. My FO4 download from Steam should be complete in about 7 hours & my new GTX 970 arrives next week. Vacation days scheduled.

edit: Steam now estimates 1 hour 46 minutes, nice!

Edited by redirishlord

So, that thing i said about waiting for the GOTY bundle, that lasted all of 4 days. My FO4 download from Steam should be complete in about 7 hours & my new GTX 970 arrives next week. Vacation days scheduled.

edit: Steam now estimates 1 hour 46 minutes, nice!

That's funny. :)

I am thinking of getting a copy as well discounted from GMG ($48) because some unexpected money appeared in my pocket. It probably won't be a gameplay focus for me (unless I get hooked) but it's something to tinker with when I'm not playing Witcher 3 or Star Wars Battlefront. Well, that and there's nothing else I even remotely care about coming out this year.

Next year though... XCOM2, Rise of the Tomb Raider... yes please.

I was pretty excited to play the game but sadly I am getting terrible performance issues. Even on the *lowest* settings at 720p I can barely make it above 40 FPS... plus massive stuttering. I tried running it in borderless windowed mode but that did nothing. I even tried re-installing my drivers but no luck. I wasn't expecting to play on max but I thought I could at least play at 60 FPS on medium. The game is completely unplayable for me. :\

That's funny. :)

I am thinking of getting a copy as well discounted from GMG ($48) because some unexpected money appeared in my pocket. It probably won't be a gameplay focus for me (unless I get hooked) but it's something to tinker with when I'm not playing Witcher 3 or Star Wars Battlefront. Well, that and there's nothing else I even remotely care about coming out this year.

Next year though... XCOM2, Rise of the Tomb Raider... yes please.

Rise of the Tomb Raider has some amazing graphics. Crystal Dynamics might has the most eye candy in any engine out right now.

Well I am pretty baffled as to why FO4 cannot even maintain a reasonable frame rate. :\ Not sure if it's on my end or what but either way I give up. I'm asking for a refund and buying something else. 

Before you take the refund route, perhaps there's some hope. I have the same GTX 760 & am enjoying FO4's performance so far. The game did its auto-detect & set graphics to "High", I haven't checked the fps, but it looks & feels smooth. Are your settings pushed to "Ultra"? Another thought, DoubleYou has an Ini thread, maybe some tweaks on that front could bring your framerate up? Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious.

Like any Beth title, FO4 cries out for modders to make it the game it should be, but the gameplay definitely redeems it. While I miss the hardcore survival mode of FONV, the merger of the Perk & Skill system is great. I quite like the FO4 pip boy phone app that syncs to your in-game pip boy for 2nd screen functionality. From what I hear the Power Armour has been given a punch up & is now more an exoskeleton/vehicle with modular armour, and body armour has a modular aspect which is quite nice (reminds me of Morrowind equipment layers).

Hopefully you can resolve the framerate issue, there's plenty to enjoy in this title & it's sure to get bigger & better next year when the GECK/Creation Kit is released.

An interesting note and discovery by Boris:

13 november 2015

Just want to mention few important tips for Fallout 4. Official game RAM requirements is incorrect, it need at least 8.5 Gb of available memory, so installed RAM size must be more than 10 Gb for OS and other processes. If you don't have enough RAM, the swap file will be used and quickly kill ssd drive if located in there and of course expect huge performance drops. Even if you have 16 Gb of RAM, do not disable swap file and set it at least to 1 Gb, otherwise game will not work properly. Users with less than 8 Gb must use very big swap file size to avoid crashes and every other fancy features of Bethesda games. For future mods with hi-res texture packs i recommend to buy at least 16 Gb RAM (but bigger is better with ENBoost).