Question

Hi,

I got the 1.7.3 version of SKSE from here: https://skse.silverlock.org/

The 7z version.

For some reason memory blocks log shows:

Block1 Block2
256MB    256MB

and I get ILS issues.

I tried to put the SKSE.ini in the data directory (in the SKSE sub folder) and to eneble it via MO (ini for lazy users), so it doesn't seem to be a MO issue.

The contents of my ini file:

[General]
EnableDiagnostics=1
ClearInvalidRegistrations=1
[Display]
iTintTextureResolution=2048
[Memory]
defaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
scrapHeapSizeMB=256

Thanks in advance!

[edit]

I did some more troubleshooting. The problem persists even if I don't use MO and roll back to older SKSE versions. SSME works flawlessly though.

Edited by Spock

Make sure you have skse_1_9_32.dll, skse_launcher.exe, and skse_steam_loader.dll in the Skyrim folder (in the same folder with TESV.exe).

Make sure you are running skse_loader.exe (instead of TESV.exe) to play the game. If you are using Mod Organizer, you may need to add -forcesteamloader to the arguments for SKSE.

Make sure you have SKSE.ini in the \SKSE folder in the SKSE mod in Mod Organizer as in this screenshot:

YiV7RZHhMSwsaq07

Finally, make sure the file is named skse.ini instead of skse.ini.txt. Naming the file with a txt extension is unfortunately super easy to do with Windows hiding the file extensions by defauilt.

Thanks for the input but skse is running. I already did quite some troubleshooting and used memory blocks log to determine why I get ILS. I have no idea why this is happening, this didn't happen during my previous install.

I even tried to manually install skse (to rule out MO), tried disabling ENB and tried previous versions up to 1.7.1. Nothing helped. SMEE works though.

Just a fringe idea: skse.ini isn't case sensitive right? Mine was called SKSE.ini

Edited by Spock

No, it's not case sensitive. Can you post the contents of your skse.ini in spoiler tags so we can see what it looks like? For reference, this is mine:

[Display]

iTintTextureResolution=2048

[General]

ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

EnableDiagnostics=1

[Memory]

DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=1024

ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

Nope, and the only security feature enabled is the exe check. Another fringe idea might be a windows update. In my last install I used windows update and it destroyed my win7 sp1 installation. So now I just have the updates included in sp1.

A few days later, and tweaking things to regain stability after installing DynDoLOD with the use of memory blocks log I've discovered that SKSE.ini in its CORRECT DIRECTORY might not in fact be the one being used by MO for start up.

Try as I might, changing the defaultHeapInitialAllocMB in skse.ini didn't change the default as seen in my memory blocks log.

I did a search of my Skyrim directory and found another mod (in this case it was a HDT mod for SoS) had a skse.ini that had a higher priority.  Changing the settings in this .ini was the ticket.

So for future reference, I'd suggest doing a search for SKSE.ini in your local folders and see if this is the case if modifying the ini doesn't work.  It just might be located in a place you weren't expecting if you've stepped outside the STEP mandates.

BTW - memory blocks log should be every modders best friend.

That's a dangerous thing that mod author did. You should never include skse.ini in your mod! Never! I would delete it and simply add the edits it makes for that mod to the skse.ini found in the skse installation. That mod author should be informed of this because it could cause a lot of problems for a lot of users.

Funny you should post this Tech.  I was contemplating this very thing on the long drive back from our Thanksgiving dinner tonight and had come to the same conclusion about copying that info over to the root skse installation.  I'm taking it as a sign that I'm actually beginning to understand things with modding and MO.

I hadn't considered contacting the author, but will do so as it's a great suggestion.

Mostly I just posted this on this thread as I'm guessing I won't be the only person that installs a mod with a skse.ini attached.  If you're making changes to the defaultHeapInitialAllocMB and not seeing the changes in your memory blocks log, it's certainly worth looking to see if your game's using an skse.ini that isn't where it should be.

Cheers for the advice Tech.  Much appreciated.

I found out why this didn't work btw:

I used a fix so I wouldn't have to start steam. It worked beautifully in the past, but for some reason it didn't want to work with my latest install. Reverting back to default fixed it.

Wouldn't want to mention something like that on the Nexus, might get you an instant ban.  :;):

"I used a fix so I wouldn't have to start steam" is another way of saying "crack", ie. a common way pirates supply games. Even if you own the game they are very touchy about such things. We're a little less trigger happy, but still frown on "crackz".

Wouldn't want to mention something like that on the Nexus, might get you an instant ban.  :;):

"I used a fix so I wouldn't have to start steam" is another way of saying "crack", ie. a common way pirates supply games. Even if you own the game they are very touchy about such things. We're a little less trigger happy, but still frown on "crackz".

I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

If I didn't own the game, I certainly wouldn't have bothered to report back to close the issue. Whether fixing a game you own is piracy is an age old discussion I didn't want to break loose.

Off Topic...

Cracking the game is different, imo, from pirating the game. I used to use cracks all the time back in the day simply because keeping up with the discs was a pain. I also freely admit that I used to "copy" the game discs to my hard drive, thus, breaking the DRM in the process. Why? Ever pay $60 for a game that got scratched up enough that it no longer played because the gaming companies forced you to keep up with it and pop it into your computer anytime you wanted to play it? That's why. I lost several games in that matter. Games I rightly paid for with my hard-earned dollars. In my eyes, I was protecting my investment where the gaming companies wanted you to simply spend more money for another copy as they held your scratched disc in evil laughter.

Is it actually possible to play any of the GTA 4 franchise without a crack at this point if you own the discs?  If anyone has ever gone through the abandoned Windows Live required login site can glimpse how Kafka-esque b'iness really can be.  The entire link process is (or was when I tried it last) was so cynical that it ended up ultimately (after many, many pages) taking you right back to where you had started.

Back when the internet required working knowledge of Unix (and probably a hacked university account), I had a BBS that focused on questions of property ownership of digital content.  It seemed intriguing that something with arguably no mass (digital data) can really use the same laws and rules as other property.  I was also pretty insulted that Microsoft wanted to charge me the same price for 5.25 floppy discs of Microsoft Word for writing fiction on as they were charging the law firm where I worked that actually were using the software commercially.  It was insanely expensive back in the mid-late 80's.

It's gotten a whole lot stranger in the decades following.

Return to topic now.... 

(edited for questionable language)

Edited by n0mad23

I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

If I didn't own the game, I certainly wouldn't have bothered to report back to close the issue. Whether fixing a game you own is piracy is an age old discussion I didn't want to break loose.

No offence taken on my part, I simply mentioned it as a precautionary reminder. I got it very clear from posts that you own your copy, but Nexus have a "shoot first ask questions later" policy.

I'm still a little uneasy about crackz, copying your game discs is a different matter entirely. When it comes to trouble-shooting game tools it is just another layer of pain to get through if the user is using a cracked copy of the game executable. It's hard enough getting three or four tools to play nice with one another without introducing a rogue element.