Mod Organizer 2 Discussion and Feedback

TechAngel85

Question

Mod Organizer 2 is now in alpha, which is the 64-bit version of MO featuring support for Fallout 4. Testers are welcome and encouraged!

Download the Alpha here: https://github.com/TanninOne/modorganizer/releases

This is not a bug report topic! Please report bugs to the GitHub issue tracker.

Thought I'd start this thread for the discussion of MO2 instead of filling the Fallout Support topic with unrelated posts.

Um.... yeah wow. I was in the middle of moving all the mods I've been manually installing for Fallout 4 to Mod Organizer 2, when I was suddenly told I was out of disk space. I then realized that MO had spawned a 61GB log file! A LOG FILE! And I hadn't even booted the game once through it yet! And another log file was 6gb!

Yeah, I think I'll wait, and I wouldn't bother asking for the logs, because A) I already deleted them, and B) How the hell would I send you guys a 61gb file lmfao...

sResourceDataDirsFinal shouldn't be used. bInvalidateOlderFiles=1 should be used instead.

While this indeed work in an easier way, and make the game load faster, there is currently no proof that I'm aware of that this setting doesn't prevent some resource management optimisation to take place.

Though the same is true for modifications to the sResourceDataDirsFinal.

I'm not refuting your point, just putting a little emphasis I consider appropriate in those early modding times.

I've opened thread to discuss those things both over AFKMods and Bethsoft, but sadly there hasn't been much answers :/

Not to sound too impatient, but I'm sitting here biting my finger nails. I don't want to start modding FO4 w/o MO

I understand that the last release is really very unstable. The last checkin on GIT was almost two weeks ago.

Is Tannin on vacation or busy with other stuff? 

Not to push to much, I just wanted to let him know that there are people out eagerly waiting for any kind of progress ... :)

Is it worth trying (and even possible) to build the last version based on the GIT checkins myself (never tried that, but being a sw developer myself, I think I could manage it, provided all the necessary info is available)?

Well, I am really looking forward to a more stable release for FO4. There is not a lot of information on the alpha, aren't a lot of discussions going on about it (aside from this one -- and the list of bugs/complaints on github).. but with the alpha 2 being released nearly a month ago.. heres to hoping for a nice MO xmas gift.

The alpha worked fine for me for the first few weeks. But then it started going through a series of game crashes that were otherwise untraceable. enabling and disabling mods one at a time to try to find what MO didnt like often doesnt give logical results. For example, you could narrow it down to Mod B (such that the crashes stopped as soon as you disabled Mod B). Then you could come from the other direction, starting with all mods disabled, and enabling them one at a time. You expect that when you activate Mod B, it will cause game crash. Nope. Some other mod, Mod F. I have narrowed down the source of a crash so many times that nearly every mod has been the suspected culprit at one point or another. You could even launch the exact same load order multiple times, without changing anything, and get different results.

To clarify what I mean by game crash.. it's not the traditional mid-game, 'ive been playing for a few minutes and then CTD'.. you launch from MO, using F4SE or FO4.exe, the home menu of FO4 will display very briefly (or the intro video if you havent disabled that in the ini file), and then the game will crash, receiving a windows error message that the program has stopped working and windows is looking for a solution.

Yesterday I went through i tough day of constant crashes, troubleshooting, etc. Was finally able to run the game ok with using only plugins. Then I tried adding back a few simple texture replacers. Thats when the textures stopped being shown in game. I thought maybe the INI had reverted causing a problem with invalidation or loading the loose files, but I confirmed that everything was as it should be. So, that is the current problem I am having with MO.. I cannot get any new textures to load. However, I have faith that it will somehow start working again, at which time I will hope that one of the other parts dont stop working. 

As if we all didnt love MO enough as is.. when youre forced to have to use NMM.. your appreciation for a functional MO is reinforced many times over. I wish I was a programmer and would help Tannin... sadly I am not. Although I am taking a python course next term.. but it is python programming for bioinformatics so not sure how much help that will be. 

I waited a while to start FO4 in the hopes that there might be an update to MO2. I tried using the FO4 Wrye Bash, but it isn't practical since so many mods have FOMM scripts. I've never used FOMM as the only mod manager; I used it for TES4 along with Wrye Bash. Using NMM seems like going back to FOMM and all the issues with changing mods. I'm using MO 2 at the moment, but it crashes fairly often.

I waited a while to start FO4 in the hopes that there might be an update to MO2. I tried using the FO4 Wrye Bash, but it isn't practical since so many mods have FOMM scripts. I've never used FOMM as the only mod manager; I used it for TES4 along with Wrye Bash. Using NMM seems like going back to FOMM and all the issues with changing mods. I'm using MO 2 at the moment, but it crashes fairly often.

glad to know its not just me.. 

I wanted to finish the first playthrough without any mods anyway. As it turned out, I needed two important user made bug fixes, but these can easily be managed manually. 

But now I've finished the game once and I wanted to start to try some mods. For the time being I'm using NMM, but it feels like I'm back in the stone age of modding. If you've used MO once, you don't want to look back again. 

I think I'll stop FO4 now for a while until the first official DLCs and modding kit will be released. And by then, I hope, Tannin is able to make a stable release.

As a matter of fact I think I could assist him, even though I'm not familiar with the Qt environment - but that shouldn't be a problem. But I still need Tannin's consent and assistance - basically he must be willing to let someone else in on his code. If he really wants that, I'd be happy to discuss it with him. 

Edited by Grestorn

Does the author of MO check this for suggestions? If so, may I suggest adding the ability to make text bigger? If this already exists (or has some other way to do it) I'd be appreciative if someone could tell me.

EDIT:

For people asking about stability and such, I got about 125 mods running on MO a2 right now and so far as I can tell everyone is working and loaded. Personally I use the bInvalidateOlderFiles=1, and that took care of previous issues I had with texture mods not loading.

Edited by Toosdey

I have a question regarding FO4Edit...

I set it up in MO2 (running under Win10) and fire it up - it only shows Fallout4.esm and none of my MO-added plugins.  I've checked the wiki and it is a bit dated, with no instructions on fo4edit.  I checked the FO4Edit comments section on their Nexus page and they just give a shrug in the sticky when it comes to MO, but say something along the lines of "It is not configured properly..." which implies that it DOES work if you have the proper configuration.  Trouble is finding that configuration.  Can anyone help?

Does the author of MO check this for suggestions? If so, may I suggest adding the ability to make text bigger? If this already exists (or has some other way to do it) I'd be appreciative if someone could tell me.

EDIT:

For people asking about stability and such, I got about 125 mods running on MO a2 right now and so far as I can tell everyone is working and loaded. Personally I use the bInvalidateOlderFiles=1, and that took care of previous issues I had with texture mods not loading.

MO, both the 1.3.x and the a 2.x series, make use of stylesheets to configure the UI elements. Currently MO a2 has two stylesheets which you could edit to adjust the font sizes.

The actual details are not fully ducumented but conform to QT standards and a number of modders have already created different styles that you might look at to see how to change the font metrics.

(one proviso here is most of them where created for a previous QT version and there may be slight variations with some keywords)

Mod Organizer STYLES by theimmersion   (I actually had a bit input into this one so I know for sure it works as directed. Self-promotion ends here. ::): )

Paper Themes for Mod Organizer - Light and Dark by Polykobus

UI Tweaks - Alternative style for Mod Organizer by EGraf