Movement Speeds Fixed by quho

Greg

I like the look of this. Besides the general movement speed changes, which I think were agreed above to be subjective, I like the fact that this also fixes vanilla errors with movement speeds depending on what was equipped.

From the description:

Without this mod, for example walking backwards wearing a one handed weapon was speed 45, while walking backwards with a bow or a huge axe was 72. And running backwards was slower while having a spell equipped than while having a sword equipped. These are now corrected!

Bug fixes are always good in my books. I'm going to try this, and hopefully the general movement speed jives with me. I think it will, as only a 7% decrease in run / sprint doesn't seem like much.

• 1 month later...

Personally I have taken the same approach as Kryptopyr. Several years ago I looked at multiple mods that changed movement speeds and built my own version which is at least somewhat different than any of the available ones; I found parts of all the available ones that I didn't like. One approach might be to provide a file, probably a spreadsheet, with the information about speeds or build a simple UI tool that helps users select a set of movement speeds.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Those mods were all no-goes. I've had this one open in a tab for a while to check it out. Most of these types of mods makes you feel "restricted" while moving. Basically, the movement doesn't match the animation. I remember testing one that made you "glide" to the ground while jumping off objects. A very odd feeling while playing.

I used this mod and can endorse it.  I believe it made gameplay feel more realistic.  It had none of the issues you mention, so I think you should give it a try.  I am in the process of my first STEP build and I will be adding this one.