Indicator template ?

Kesta

Question

Hi ! Me again :)

Is there any specific reason why those two templates :

https://wiki.step-project.com/Template:Indicator/HQ

https://wiki.step-project.com/Template:Indicator/LQ

Aren't actually implemented ? (is it better to use the images ?). I'm a lazy person and I'd rather like to only write in {{Indicator/HQ}} than [[image:HighQuality.png|18px]] (plus, it's easier to remember).

11 answers to this question

I think there are so many templates they just get lost and forgotten about. I recently just discovered the {{added}} and {{removed}} templates that were meant for the changelogs during this last release. Consequently, I added an {{updated}} template to match.

I don't know who but one of our staff doesn't know much about some of the wiki code. During my recent combing of the mod pages I discover multiple instances of links being added for mods in the long form like so [...wiki.step.link/Finer_Dust Finer Dust]. When all they had to do was this, [[Finer Dust]], to link directly to that mod page. I cleaned all those instances up that I found.

Those two templates were created by Proton. I saw them, but they're still rather new (6 months). The reason probably is because it wasn't playing nicely with the wiki tables (I don't know if you noticed how that there for a while the DLC was all showing vertically). Images don't behave that way.

I don't know who but one of our staff doesn't know much about some of the wiki code. During my recent combing of the mod pages I discover multiple instances of links being added for mods in the long form like so [...wiki.step.link/Finer_Dust Finer Dust]. When all they had to do was this, [[Finer Dust]], to link directly to that mod page. I cleaned all those instances up that I found.

I already explained to you that was intentional! Don't you remember why? It causes the links to open in new tabs rather than replacing the current window. This was something that Z worked hard on during the first release that I helped with.

Those two templates were created by Proton. I saw them, but they're still rather new (6 months). The reason probably is because it wasn't playing nicely with the wiki tables (I don't know if you noticed how that there for a while the DLC was all showing vertically). Images don't behave that way.

I wasn't asking why they're aren't used, but why they aren't implemented. I fully understand than updating the whole wiki with those would take time and require tests. The question was "why is there no code". Basically it can't even be used as a template for now (you have to copy-paste the source, which is using Proton's template from his user page).

The FO3 guide makes extensive use of the indicator templates that DoubleYou created (thanks!). The text colors, background colors, and text were modified to create indicators for:

• Core and Optional
  • LowRes, MedRes, and HighRes (texture and model resolution)
  • Cleaning (with xEdit)
  • Optimize (DDSopt would be useful for the textures)

They seem like efficient ways to convey information about a mod without having to add a lot of detail.

@Kelmych : Yep, already looked at your flags and stole some of them. Though I converted them using Proton's template instead of the default Indicator, so there is no line-return :P

But you're still writing in plain text :

{{Indicator|8|16|#006666|#669999|#A8C9A7|Core }}

Where I'd like to be able to write

{{Indicator|Core}}

The styling of the indicator template being handled in the template's page itself (i.e. pre-defined Indicators).

I know, this is just lazyness  ::P: but a bit of wiki-code readability as well.

The FO3 guide makes extensive use of the indicator templates that DoubleYou created (thanks!). The text colors, background colors, and text were modified to create indicators for:

• Core and Optional
  • LowRes, MedRes, and HighRes (texture and model resolution)
  • Cleaning (with xEdit)
  • Optimize (DDSopt would be useful for the textures)

They seem like efficient ways to convey information about a mod without having to add a lot of detail.

I didn't create it. I merely tweaked it a bit.

I was hoping that others would look at the indicators I built and we could have a discussion of some standards for at least some of the ones I added. I feel indicators could be used to make the guides provide more information without adding a lot of space in the guide. I have been suggesting the addition of the Low/Medium/High resolution information (as well as the other ones I used) to the main STEP guide for several years.  By the way, I used the same indicator for Core, as an example, as was used in the STEP guide.

It would be useful if most of the indicators were standardized, while maintaining the ability to use custom ones when needed.

I was hoping that others would look at the indicators I built and we could have a discussion of some standards for at least some of the ones I added. I feel indicators could be used to make the guides provide more information without adding a lot of space in the guide. I have been suggesting the addition of the Low/Medium/High resolution information (as well as the other ones I used) to the main STEP guide for several years.  By the way, I used the same indicator for Core, as an example, as was used in the STEP guide.

It would be useful if most of the indicators were standardized, leaving the ability to use custom ones when needed.

I'm glad to read this as this is somehow what I aimed to lead this conversation to :)

I started a sandbox to celebrate it : https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Kesta/flare

Feel free to edit them / add news / modify code for something more optimized (idk if using #vardefine switch is the best way to do something like this).

Edited by Kesta