Commute

rootsrat

https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/23722

This nice little mod adds a lot to immersion (for me at least). It makes certain NPC travel between settlements doing "business". They will travel according to set schedule. Mod is configurable and needs to be switch on via In game menu after installation.

It did not cause issues when I used it before. Not checked for error though.

Some more info, as per the mod description:

Lillith Maiden-Loom travels to Riften on the 21th of each month, browses the market if she still has time, then dines in the inn and sleeps at the Bunkhouse. The next day, she will follow Maven around on her daily routine, followed by dinner at the Black-Briar manor. She heads back to Whiterun in the morning of the 23rd.

Ennis travels from Rorikstead to Whiterun to browse the market every morndas, middas and fredas.

Faendal brings wood to Whiterun every tirdas and turdas and spends some time at the Drunken Huntsman afterward.

Commander Caius travels to Riverwood on tirdas, patrols briefly and spends the next eighteen hours at the inn, staying the night. He does the same for Rorikstead on Fredas. Does not take effect if Whiterun is under Stormcloak control.

You can choose to have the Hirelings rotate around the inns of Skyrim on a daily basis. They will return to their original location on the weekends.

Urag Gro-Shub will visit the Frozen Hearth inn on the weekends in the evening. This is useful for certain quests, but his dialogue won't make sense, so you might want to keep this one disabled. I'm also keeping it disabled during the relevant stage of the "Elder Knowledge" quest, because you'd still need to enter the college to collect the books.

Are your NPCs in peril while travelling? Technically, they can't die if you aren't near them, so you can rest assured that Lillith Maiden-Loom will always return safely if you don't accompany her or run into her along the way. But if you do, and you find yourself attacked by werewolves, well, at least it makes the game interesting.

I have heard that skyrim made a lot of concessions in terms of NPC AI and the number of NPCs to make the game preform better for the XBox and playstation. Could just be console hate though. Either way I always appreciate mods like this. Each city and village feel like islands when ideally they really shouldn't.

• 1 month later...

I had this mod in my list for a long time, then I realized quest important npc's went missing when you needed them; then I realized it only effects a handful of npcs, then I realized it was more or less an annoying and pointless addition to the game (IMHO).

I Think it may have cause some glitches too like for e.g when you get to whiterun if its the wrong time of day, the blacksmith arguing about swords with that other guy is found arguing all by herself with no one around her, though this may have been caused by a different mod.

Peace.

I had this mod in my list for a long time, then I realized quest important npc's went missing when you needed them; then I realized it only effects a handful of npcs, then I realized it was more or less an annoying and pointless addition to the game (IMHO).

I Think it may have cause some glitches too like for e.g when you get to whiterun if its the wrong time of day, the blacksmith arguing about swords with that other guy is found arguing all by herself with no one around her, though this may have been caused by a different mod.

Peace.

Can anyone corroborate any of this? We should add this to the "watch list" for now and contact the author about these observations.

Anxious to hear more ....

Peace.

I haven't been playing Skyrim for a while now (just bought a 2 GB graphic card, preparing for reinstall), but as far as I remember it affects 2 quest NPCs (Faendal and the ligrarian from Mages College). In my oppinion it adds realism. Well, if Skyrim was real it would be very unlikely for the librarian to spend 24/7 sitting in the library and Faendal could as well go for a walk, yes? But I guess it's a matter of personal preference and taste. To me - it adds immersion, which won't be the case for some other people (vide: peaceful above).

Anyways, as for the glitches - I definitelly didn't have them in any of my games when using Commute (2 or 3 different playthroughs).

seems it was caused by another mod then, since removing it though things are back to normal, on the subject of glitches though - I also removed a companions guild mod though and a glitch where farkas (?) wouldn't retaliate whilst fighting the giant, just stood there getting pummeled is gone also. & swapping ERSO crime radius, for realistic crime radius fixed the glitch where everyone in dragonsreach attacked me when I went there. a little off topic but hopefully helpful all the same

Peace.