Book Covers Skyrim - Lost Library (by DanielCoffey)

Nebulous112

I've been playing with this mod since you posted this and I vote yes for inclusion into Extended as well. However, do keep in mind that I'm a book junky that loves to read so I might be a wee bit biased. :;):

Yeah, that's plenty. I'll do the work to add it tomorrow if no one beats me to it. It takes a good 10-15 mins to completely add a new mod when it's all set and done...ModList, Changelog, Forum OP, add Boilerplate, fill out mod page form..I'm too lazy tonight. ::P:

Hello folks - Nebulous112 has asked me to pop in to be available to answer any questions about the Lost Library. I am subscribed to this thread now.

I am glad so many folks are enjoying it and I am very happy for it to be included in Extended. It would not be a good fit for Core because of the Michael Kirkbride texts (all hand-placed anyway).

I should add two points... Book Covers Skyrim is Localised into the major Skyrim languages through its ESP and even has some non-English texture packs but the Lost Library is English only (plus a Chinese ESP). It would have less broad appeal for Foreign Language players who use native language Book Covers.

The second point is that the mod contains a script which I understand was needed at the time to inject the new books into the correct merchant's inventories. I copied the method used in Frostfall at the time so I believe it is sound and there are no changes planned for it so it is stable. I do not understand the scripting needs so can't comment if there is now a better method.

I don't play Skyrim at the moment so I have no idea what SkyRe/Perma overhauls are common and might affect the skill books. There is a universal SkyRe/Perma compatibility patch on the Lost Library download page.

EDIT : There is now a German ESP at https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/76010/

Edited by DanielCoffey

A french translation is also being worked on for Lost Library, though considering the amount of work, the translator recently took a break from it. I also know that the translator working on it is a perfectionist so he do intend to localize the texture as well at some point, though I doubt this is going do be done anytime soon.

I'll have a look at the script just in case, but injecting books into LList is pretty simple and straightforward, there is near to 0 way it could end up messing with anything (with books anyway, equipment are a different story).

It would not be a good fit for Core because of the Michael Kirkbride texts (all hand-placed anyway).

I'd say this is the other way around, although not "official", MK's text aren't like "random external additions". Just my opinion on this though.

• 1 month later...

I've been using this and it's lore friendly so I don't see any reason to not include it for Extended. It could even be Core. Thoughts?

@Neb,

I just had a day off that I was a bit bored so I accepted a few mods over the course of the day for which testing had been completed. They could have been added sooner. Thing is, when I accept mods I go through the entire process so that nothing is skipped or forgotten. This means adding the boilerplate to the OP, creating a fully fleshed out mod page on the wiki (gallery, mod instructions, etc.), adding it to the Dev Guide, updating the Dev Changelog, updating the OP of the Dev topic (which is redundant, imo, with the changelog), and accepting the mod by changing the pre-fix tag and posting. I don't move the mods into Anthology until release. This helps to keep track of the mods which have been accepted in the meantime so the other staff can also keep track. This work is...not exactly the most fun, so I tend to do it in spurts nowadays.

Edit:

After more thought I wouldn't matter if they're moved to Anthology as long a the  testing tag remains right up until release. This keeps the mods in the "pool", just as accepted so others can keep track.

I agree it's a no brainer, but I feel like an argument can be made for both Core and Extended.

On one hand they not cut content and weren't intended to be part of the game, but on the other hand they sure are books from TES games. They aren't just lore friendly, they are the lore itself. 

I agree it's a no brainer, but I feel like an argument can be made for both Core and Extended.

On one hand they not cut content and weren't intended to be part of the game, but on the other hand they sure are books from TES games. They aren't just lore friendly, they are the lore itself. 

Well the Mandate says this:

... new content that is interpreted as a "should have been included" resource and remains consistent with vanilla Skyrim.

I believe this mod falls within those parameters. Like you said, it's the lore itself. Including it from the start will not hurt anything. Those that have never played any TES game will simply get more lore. Those that have played the previous games will feel that the TES world is a bit more interconnected having the books from the other regions (aka past games). Win-win.