Massive performance drop at certain outside areas and time of the day

rootsrat

Question

Hi guys. I am getting massive performance drops at certain outside areas in the day time. So far I've noticed at Whiterun Stables, Valtheim Towers and a bit after Valtheim Towers, where the road turns around towards Ivarstead. But for example Riverwood is perfectly fine.

Facts:

- it happens mainly in broad daylight, it's ok during the night

- it's worse with many NPC's around

- no performance drop inside locations (caverns, buildings etx.)

- happens MAINLY when turning around or running - when standing still or making really slow turns it seems to be ok

The drop is MASSIVE, I mean to the point where the whole game freezes for good few seconds, the moves just a single frame maybe and then freezes again.

Any advice? I was thinking of reducing shadows to Medium or using ENB without SSAO - woud this help you think?

If you need any more info please let me know.

Thanks!

Apologies for double post - but another question just came to my mind - what if I need to update a mod. I.e. Cloaks of Skyrim. What is the process then?

::EDIT::

Ignore the above, I figured it out.

I'd like to thank you both for your assistance and help. Optimizer seems to have done the job, at first glance. I will need to play some more to tell for sure, but I've had a save by Whiterun stables and I can tell it is significantly better, I am getting some light stutter now, the total screen freezes are gone.

Check your game with FRAPS and GPU0-Z. You really shouldn't be getting any stuttering anywhere. The most performance intensive spots in skyrim are around falkreath area, do a FRAPS run in that area and you should get the worst case scenario for your FPS. I have found that if I just run around whiterun a lot and in and out of the town I can force my VRAM to fill the fastest, so that would be a great place to check your VRAM performance. If you are getting good FPS and your VRAM is under control the light stuttering you are experiencing could be related to something else.