Tobe's Hi-Res Textures Detailed Instructions

aba42

Question

The detailed instructions for Tobe's Hi-Res Textures state that several of the textures added by Tobe's Mod should be hidden.  Okay, no problem.  However, I'm a tad confused about two of the suggestions:

25px-FileTree.png File Tree: Hide the following files:

Textures\clutter\barset\
Textures\furniture\

Am I supposed to hide the entire categories "barset" and "furniture"?  OR, am I only supposed to hide the few Tobe's Hi-Res Textures contained in those two directories?  There ARE other textures added by other mods in both of those two directories.

Thanks!  Allen

The reason I ask is that all of the other instructions for hiding specify Tobe's textures individually.

10 answers to this question

When a wiki page for a particular mod asks you to hide files, it is meant that you only hide the files for that mod.

Right click the mod in MO, click Information... and go to Filetree. There you can hide the files for each mod individually. This has benefits over deleting the files as you can always unhide the file later if for some reason you need it down the road.

Whether you hide the whole folder within a particular mod's filetree or hide them all individually in the folder, it has the same effect.

And just to be sure, you are using MO, right? The files should not be in your main Skyrim Data directory at all (like some mod managers do), or they will overwrite each other and cause nothing but trouble. MO uses a virtual data directory, so your Skyrim directory staus clean.

It is important to note that the STEP instructions assume the user is running MO.

Thank you, I understand the effect of hiding.  I think it's a GREAT difference between Mod Organizer and NMM...at least I hadn't come across the "hide" ability in NMM.

It's just that, in those two folders ("barset" and "furniture"), there are more than just Tobe's textures.  For the other folders (e.g., clutter), it was specifically stated the Tobe's files to hide.    But for these two folders, the instructions implied that the entire folders were to be hidden.

Wait a minute. I think I understand:  IF a MOD puts, for example, 10 textures into a folder, but you only instruct to delete 4 of them, then you'll list all four individually.  BUT, if you instruct to delete all 10, then you imply that by only listing the folder.  Of course, that logic assumes we STEP-MOD users are smart enough to realize this when you instruct that a complete folder, like "barset" and "furniture" be hidden.  That is, you're SPECIFICALLY only talking about ALL of Tobe's textures contained in that folder.  You're NOT talking about ALL of the textures in that folder, even if added by other MODs though...are you?

Yes, I am using MO!!

One more, related, question.  IF we hide an entire texture folder now (e.g., "barset"), and some LATER mod that we install adds texture files to that "barset" folder, will that automatically unhide the hidden folder?  Then, IF it does unhide it, wouldn't all those other textures automatically become unhidden as well, and potentially conflict with each other?  Or isn't that how MO works, since MO stores all Mods separately?  Clarification here, please.  And, thanks again!

Yes, hiding a folder in a mod in MO only hides the files from that mod. If you want to hide all the files in a folder it's much quicker to simply hide the folder.

I've always found that once I looked into the details of how MO does something it acts the way i would want it to, and in some cases it has even better ways to do it than I had thought of.

Nope, or at least I'm not getting this part.  If I scroll down to "barset" folder, then right-click on the "barset" folder name, I only get two options, neither of which is "hide":

Write to file

refresh

"barset", at the moment, contains:

bar01.dds              Tobes Highres Textures

bar01_n.dds           Tobes Highres Textures

barset01.dds          STEP Vanilla Optimized Textures - Standard Version

barset01_n.dds      STEP Vanilla Optimized Textures - Standard Version

So, I can hide each Tobes texture individually, but I do not see how to hide the entire "barset" folder, as is implied on its Detailed Instructions Available page.

Help, please.

Or, if the Detailed Instructions Available state to hide the entire "barset" folder, that really means to open that "barset" folder, and hide ALL files contained in that folder, individually, regardless of source?

I FINALLY figured out what I was doing incorrectly.  So, for all the others out there who manage to miss KEY words, I have been "hiding" files from within the Data tab on the right-side pane of Mod Organizer.  It wasn't until I got to the install for HD Enhanced Terrain, and the Directions stated to hide a file, that I could not FIND that file, in the righ-hand pane.  THAT's when I noticed the BLUE WORDS --> FileTree.  D'OH!!  So, after suring the net how-to's for Dummies, NOW, I'm doing all "hiding" from the FileTree under the left-side pane of Mod Organizer.  All I need to do is right-click the mod name, select "Information" at the bottom of the popup window, and then select the FileTree Tab.   We're cookin' with petrolatum deep-heat rub now!!!  8-)   Again, thanks to all of you EVEN-TEMPERED moderators and experimenters for your sage advice.  I've never used Mod Organizer before, but I'm CERTAINLY going to stick with it from now on...learning as I go.  And now back to our regularly scheduled program, which is already in progress...