Enhanced Lights and FX (by anamorfus)

najt

missjennabee has been waiting for the ELFX update before she releases ETaC 13 (incorp Is) which will use the new ELFX meshes.

I'm a little vague on this but from reading of various comments it is only recently (weeks) that anamorfus allowed the use of his meshes in other mods for ELFX patching. So I would expect that the other mods you mentioned wouldn't have been using ELFX meshes at all but their own version.

Edited by Teabag86

• 6 months later...

It's in the Weather and Lighting Pack. STEP Core is the base. You then use the Packs to pick what you want using the compatibility patches they provide for you.

Anyways, anyone liking that Weather plugin he added? I didn't like it much. I'm just using Realistic Nights with ELFX and works naturally. Later on when they update the WAO part of the Weather pack, I'll use that one.

Edited by FuzzRocket9

Because mod popularity does not automatically make a mod part of STEP. Lighting overhauls is something that has been discussed several times. All previous times the reason was that it simply was not complete enough to be a part of it. 

Also there is the fact that it some can argue that it does deviate too far from vanilla style... however it is mainly the first reason. 

• 3 weeks later...

This mod adds an odd non-interactive torch to Helgen Keep, right where you pull the lever to lower the bridge.  The torch is lying on the ground and it clips pretty bad with the ground.  Most of the time the only visible part of it is the flame.  I think they added it to provide better lighting right around the lever, but I think it was a poor design (for the reasons mentioned).  What I did is modify it in the EnhancedLightsandFX.esp plugin (actually I did it in a patch).  Here's where to find the torch object placed there using TES5Edit:

Cell>Block 8>Sub-Block 4>0005DE24>Temporary>

Go to the bottom of the list of placed objects and then look at the 8th object up which should be Torch01 "Torch" (the FormID can actually vary...).  Select it to edit.  In the view window, edit the Record Flags - select "InitiallyDisabled".  Then go to the bottom and edit the Z Position - change to -30000.  Save.  Done.  Bye Bye f'd up torch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been using ELFX for a while now and personally found it does for interior lighting exactly what I'd hoped for.  Dungeons and mines are finally stressful environments and it's possible to sneak up on a bandit and nearly stumble into one before realizing they're actually there!  Finding loot almost always requires a torch or candlelight spell.

I'm not using an ENB (I'm using an MSI GT72 Dominator laptop) at this point, and being rather olde skool (I date back to when floppies were actually floppy) I'm not sure I actually need one to satisfy my own visual enhancements in the game.  I love that ELFX gives me absolutely no performance hits regardless of where I'm at - though I'm positive this is due to my being ENB free.  

I'm wondering what people think about the Exteriors version.  I've not used it yet due to comments suggesting that it causes conflicts with games-in-progress (fire outside of fire pots, etc.) and I've got a single profile with a level 50+ character that I don't want to mess up.  I'm contemplating creating another profile in MO just to test it out, but would really like to hear impressions of it.  I've tried a couple of Lighting mods for exteriors and find I always compare them to what ELFX has achieved with interiors and then promptly delete said lighting mods.  They just don't succeed for me.  If ELFX exteriors is even 3/4 as good as the interiors, I'm sold.

On a side note, for those of you using ELFX interiors and are disappointed that Hearthfire created homes still use vanilla lighting, this mod by Scrabbulor is a decent "fix" though isn't quite as lovely as ELFX.  I've been using it in my play through for about a week now and have had no issues at all.  Improved Hearthfire Lighting - https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/60637/? 

I think with any of the lighting mods that are in plugin (esp/esm) format, you are going to run into issues with conflicts with a lot of other mods that make "Cell" and "Worldspace" edits.  What I did is go through a very tedious process of "Cell" and "Worldspace" manual custom conflict resolution.  IOW - I used TES5Edit, with all my mods selected and filtered to show conflicts, to create my own patch plugin that combines values from all conflicting plugin mods.  I manually went through all yellow and red highlighted values and grabbed the desired values and placed them into my overriding custom patch plugin.

I'm currently deciding which ENB to use and some ENB authors, or users, suggest using ELFX (without the optional enhancer) and Dark Dungeons (Mindflux) together, while some say it's redundant or worse. I can see this being slightly subjective to one's own opinion but has anyone confirmed information that, like, which this post claims?
"Dark Dungeons is redundant with the newer binary files used in [ENBseries] because of the newly added interior settings. Dark Dungeons worked by making all Dungeons affected by day time values work off of night time values. It no longer works this way because they all work off the Interior values in ENB by default."
Dark Dungeons performs a few cell lighting changes as well (that's also mentioned in the post I just linked). However that can, and does, conflict with mods like ELFX.
Anyone have some objective input on this?