Ruins Clutter Improved (by raiserfx)

parasyte79

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate Raiserfxs retextures, but prefer Staracs since they merge more seamlessly into Skyrims overall art direction. Raiserfxs textures are a bit to crisp and clean by comparison. So I'm kinda on the opposite end of the opinion spectrum from mothergoose ;)

My personal preference' date=' I much prefer the textures in this mod to the textures in any of the overhaul mods. This modder did a wonderful job of not making the textures [b']to gritty and busy[/b] (like nearly all texture artists do.. grr), but also added in nice finer details and good edging where appropriate.

I'm trying to understand this part?

Ruins clutter textures should look more worn, older. In fact this is true for almost all architecture and clutter textures in this game. And mu goal as always was to make them similar to vanilla.

Many textures in this mod are great, except urn and pot which look pretty bad. But they should be less clean and more worn out. Maybe obsolete is better expression?

I appreciate the idea of incorporating realistic textures into the game ... more importantly, in context with the surroundings.

Agree with Starac's general principles and Besidilo's point about subjectivity and in-game, evidence-based compares. We all should probably back up our opinions (me included) with real evidence-based arguments according to a basic set of assumptions.

• Plausible-looking, realistic textures in terms of:

• Materials (i.e., what is it made/formed from? Prevalence in Tamriel? Natural or magical?)
  • Colors (i.e., see previous)
  • Surface texture (i.e., smoothness/dullness/reflection/refraction ... and reason)
  • Blending with adjacent textures (i.e., see Starac)
... to name a few off the top of my head. Furthermore, anybody has the right to like what they like for whatever reason that they like it; however, textures should be graded according to a fairly strict set of well-defined criteria to leave as much subjectivity as possible behind.

We will incorporate specific criteria into our future testing regime to avoid seeming bias.

My personal preference' date=' I much prefer the textures in this mod to the textures in any of the overhaul mods. This modder did a wonderful job of not making the textures [b']to gritty and busy[/b] (like nearly all texture artists do.. grr), but also added in nice finer details and good edging where appropriate.

Ruins clutter textures should look more worn, older. In fact this is true for almost all architecture and clutter textures in this game. And mu goal as always was to make them similar to vanilla.

Many textures in this mod are great, except urn and pot which look pretty bad. But they should be less clean and more worn out. Maybe obsolete is better expression?

Gritty and busy are textures that, simply put, just use to many dark colors for detail shading. I am reluctant to provide examples because they tend not to be well received. 

I wrote a thread on it here:

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/833498-an-appeal-to-texture-artists/page__p__6681979__fromsearch__1&do=findComment&comment=6681979

My personal appeal against busy textures. Its a problem that has always existed in textures sense morrowind, and I think (without trying to sound ungrateful or condescending)  it just a product of hobbyist texture art.

Gritty and busy are textures that, simply put, just use to many dark colors for detail shading. I am reluctant to provide examples because they tend not to be well received. 

I wrote a thread on it here:

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/833498-an-appeal-to-texture-artists/page__p__6681979__fromsearch__1&do=findComment&comment=6681979

My personal appeal against busy textures. Its a problem that has always existed in textures sense morrowind, and I think (without trying to sound ungrateful or condescending)  it just a product of hobbyist texture art.

I know what gritty textures are, but i don't understand why you have problems with this. Look around yourself and you will notice that nature is gritty and detailed. And Skyrim is very realistic game when we talk about graphics, more then any other TES.

And maybe you didn't notice but almost all my textures have very similar colors to vanilla. Not to gritty but not to washed out, because i like to copy nature. Also i make very detailed textures because resized to 1024 res they must also look great. And we have texture stretching problem which can be decreased with details.

Maybe you use wrong lighting mod? 

As was stated in the thread you linked what your probably experiencing is improperly done retextures, if they could even be called that. Popularity rarely equals quality, especially when it comes to large scale retexture mods that need to fit together. I'm not against your overall point, but to see an example of high quality seamless retextures of the same areas as Raiserfxs you should check out Skyrim Realistic Overhaul for another take. You might still prefer this mod but if you haven't even seen it your definetely missing out.

My opinion on SRO and Skyrealism packages is that most of it is really very good. I don't use them only because of a few minor squibbles. I ideally I should go through all of them and hand select the ones I like and don't like but I lack the patience so I just go without. When I talk about grainy textures I am talking about select textures from popular mods for the most part, and a couple retexture projects that I am not a fan of but am also not interested in nameing.

You mean Skyrim HD, not Skyrealism I think. But fair enough, it seems to me from your comments like your not a big fan of Bethesdas own textures so I see where your coming from. If your not aware of it, I'd recommend you check out his Skyrim HD Enviroments retextures to complement RCI.

I was very careful not to call out any person for using gritty textures. To be honest' date=' I am not familiar with any of your work[/b'] so when I wrote about it I couldn't have had anything you did in mind. Everything I have to say about gritty textures and how I feel about them is in the post I linked.

Here you say how you aren't familiar with any of my work.

But earlier in post 19. you said this:  

My personal preference, I much prefer the textures in this mod to the textures in any of the overhaul mods. This modder did a wonderful job of not making the textures to gritty and busy (like nearly all texture artists do.. grr), but also added in nice finer details and good edging where appropriate.

And then this:

My opinion on SRO and Skyrealism packages is that most of it is really very good. I don't use them only because of a few minor squibbles.

Does this makes sense to you?