Bashed Patch causing random errors

This is my third post on bashed patches for fallout and I apologize for so many questions. Switching over from NMM to MO and rebuilding my game while following the guides here on STEP has required me to rethink how modding Fallout 3 works.

In the past I got by with just a Merged Patch for Fallout 3 and honestly I never had any bad (noticeable) problems, aside from an occasional CTD here and there (that was probably caused by ini tweaks).

Anyway, I made my bashed patch following the guide lines below and the recommendations from the clear and present danger guide (such as removing the "names" tag from FWE when using MMM, etc). I am experiencing some strange but seemingly harmless errors in game that I have never encountered before making a bashed patch.

For example, when approaching the death claw sanctuary the refrigerator near the entrance is standing up and floating above the ground. Another issue was in several places (during 3 hours of game play), after passing through an area, my map wouldn't update (it wouldn't allow me to "discover" the area) so I couldn't fast travel back there. Once I used the motorcycle from FWE to fast travel and the motorcycle didn't come with me. When I exited the game and turned off the bashed patch I could discover the locations and fast travel to them without any issue.

I am struggling with making a bashed patch, honestly, most people have only a common knowledge of applications such as wrye flash and tes3edit and there doesn't seem to be anyway to figure these things out other than asking questions in forums (and risking annoying people) or trial and error. The technical guides are often little help, regardless of how thorough they think they are.

I guess my main question is, do I even NEED a bashed patch for Fallout 3? And how can I even tell if I have the bashed patch set up correctly (without spending weeks learning every aspect of the program)?

When I first ran Wrye Flash the only box checked in the left column was "Alias Mod Names" and everything else was unchecked. I thought Wrye Flash was supposed to check tags and add what needed to be added? Is making a bashed patch really this complicated or am I missing something essential here?

Kelmych's guide recommends you check all boxes except:

• Alias Mod Names
  • Replace Form IDs
  • Import Actors: Animations
  • Import Script Contents
  • Globals
  • Tweak Assorted
  • Tweak Names
Edited by Snarkyfork

Unfortunately there isn't much if any good tutorial information with a lot of good examples; there are a few documents on Wrye Bash/Flash and the bashed patch but they are for users with intermediate level background. There are videos on Wrye Bash/Flash and xEdit, but these are mostly on how to do a specific task and not on providing a good overview.

I'l provide some short answers to some of the questions.

If you add a lot of mods to a Bethesda game you need a bashed patch if the mods being added are trying to replace parts of the content provided in vanilla game or provided by another mod. If you add mods that are self contained and don't use a lot of the content in the vanilla game you don't typically need a bashed patch. A Merge Patch uses the data from the last loading plugin for the object type. The two major situations for which a bashed patch is needed are:

• if you have an object (e.g., a new weapon) from a mod and another mod wants to change a few characteristics (e.g., the damage caused) then you need a bashed patch unless the second mod duplicated all the data from the first mod and replaced only the damage caused. This isn't common; usually the second mod provides incomplete data about the object. Without the bashed patch the game uses only the incomplete data from the second mod. This is the typical behavior when using the Merged Patch.
  • If you have an object (e.g., a new weapon) and you want it distributed to vendors, to NPCs for their use, and in loot from containers then you often need a bashed patch to properly add the object to the lists maintained in the game so the object is actually given randomly to some NPCs, is added to the inventory of each relevant individual vendor, and is randomly found in containers.

The bashed patch provides this function for some object types, but not all, and some properties of an object, but not all.

The boxes I suggested not checking are because they don't don't typically do anything when checked. You can check them but they generally won't do anything; the Tweak Names works but mot users don't like the simplistic way it works.

Thanks again. I really don't think I HAVE to have a bashed patch for my game, there may be a mod or two that could use one but honestly I have never noticed and have played and beaten the game with this (or a very similar) build. For the most part I just have the FWE-MMM-EVE-PB-Blackened build with some other stuff tossed in like Real Time Settler, etc. I have weapon mods kits also (hoping it works with the Blackened build) and it seems to add the mod kits to vendors alright. My Skyrim game is slowing becoming rediculous in size but despite me trying to improve my Fallout 3 build I cannot seem to find too many more really good mods to add.

# This file was automatically generated by Mod Organizer.
Fallout3.esm
Anchorage.esm
ThePitt.esm
StreetLights.esm
BrokenSteel.esm
PointLookout.esm
Zeta.esm
Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch.esm
HairPack.esm
iHUD.esm
CRAFT.esm
CALIBR.esm
Project Beauty.esm
AWorldOfPainFO3.esm
Mothership Crew.esm
Alton, IL.esm
EVE.esm
FO3 Wanderers Edition - Main File.esm
Mart's Mutant Mod.esm
Companion Core.esm
RobCo Certified v2.esm
Wasteland Whisperer v2.esm
RTS NW.esm
DCInteriors_ComboEdition.esm
Shojo Race.esm
EnhancedChildren.esm
AliciasCuteShop.esm
Sharing and Caring Companions.esm
FNNCQ.esm
FO3 Wanderers Edition - Alternate Travel.esp
Ez0n3_Fallout3_MyMansion.esm
MKsJailbaitFollower.esm
Shojo Neko.esp
DarNifiedUIF3.esp
Console Key Binder.esp
Overhead3PCamera.esp
YetAnotherPurgeCellBuffersPlugin.esp
GNR Enhanced.esp
CONELRAD 640-1240.esp
RTS NW - Volume 1st.esp
RTS NW - Volume 2nd.esp
RTS NW - Volume 3rd.esp
99+2.esp
AliciasCuteShopDoorOverride.esp
AltonAddon.esp
Ez0n3_Fallout3_MyMansion_Update.esp
Ez0n3_Fallout3_MyMansion_SkipAcquireQuest.esp
megalight.esp
UndergroundHideout.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - Main File.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Anchorage.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC The Pitt.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Broken Steel.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Point Lookout.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Mothership Zeta.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - Followers Enhanced (BrokenSteel).esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - Optional Restore Tracers (automatics only).esp
WeaponModKits.esp
WeaponModKits - FWE Master Release.esp
WeaponModKits - OperationAnchorage.esp
WeaponModKits - ThePitt.esp
WeaponModKits - BrokenSteel.esp
WeaponModKits - PointLookout.esp
WeaponModKits - Zeta.esp
FNNCQ_Mesmetron.esp
Amy_Armor.esp
AsharasFormalClothing.esp
DIM TYPE3 conversions.esp
FrenchMaid.esp
GhostArmor HGEC - Conversion.esp
kikaiEquipment.esp
Ladyoutfit1.esp
LNC StealthSuit.esp
Lookout Outfits.esp
SchoolUniforms.esp
T3_leather armors.esp
DIM CUSTOM PRESETS V1.3WEB.esp
Childhood Beginning.esp
Companion Core DLC Addon.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - Project Beauty.esp
Wasteland Whisperer v2 Broken Steel Addon.esp
RobCo Certified v2 Mechanist's Edition.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Anchorage.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC The Pitt.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Broken Steel.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Point Lookout.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Zeta.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - Master Menu Module.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DC Interiors.esp
JessiCompanion.esp
Shojo Companions.esp
LucyWestCompanion.esp
1PipboyPDA.esp
RTS NW - Volume 4 Stone.esp
RTS NW - Dialog fix.esp
dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp
pip60.esp
Fellout-Full.esp
URWLENB-002-Interiors.esp
Realistic Interior Lighting.esp
RobCo Certified v2 Omnipatch.esp
Flora Overhaul.esp
Blackened FWE + MMM + EVE + Project Beauty.esp
Merged Patch.esp

Edited by Snarkyfork

The Mator Smash utility will be added to the guide very soon for experienced users to start testing with FO3. It's still in alpha, isn't completely trouble free yet for FO3 (but I've seen only a few problems), and requires a good level of understanding of Fallout data records. Once we create and test some settings for FO3 it certainly looks like it will replace Wrye Flash, providing more extensive patching than the FO3 Wrye Flash. This will take a while, of course.