MO won't let me set an output folder for TES5Edit

C4RN1F3XX

Hey,

I am currently following the STEP:core installation guide and I got stuck at DynDOLOD.

The Installation guide says that I have to apply a script on DynDOLOD via TES5Edit, but if I set an output folder in MO for TES5Edit like the wiki says, i just get this error message:

failed to start process (directory name invalid. [267])

Seems like my MO doesn't like the "-o:"-prefix.. How do I fix that? 

EDIT: I'm very sorry, wrong category. Could some admin please move this topic into the MO category? :S Because I mistakenly thought this problem was TES5Edit related when starting the post.

Edited by C4RN1F3XX

Hey,

I am currently following the STEP:core installation guide and I got stuck at DynDOLOD.

The Installation guide says that I have to apply a script on DynDOLOD via TES5Edit, but if I set an output folder in MO for TES5Edit like the wiki says, i just get this error message:

failed to start process (directory name invalid. [267])

Seems like my MO doesn't like the "-o:"-prefix.. How do I fix that? 

EDIT: I'm very sorry, wrong category. Could some admin please move this topic into the MO category? :S Because I mistakenly thought this problem was TES5Edit related when starting the post.

If the message says the directory is invalid then the directory is ... invalid. Check your spelling. The format of that switch you set in MO's 'Arguments' field must look like this:

-o:"e:\Games\TES5LODGenOutput"

So, basically for me setting an output folder is invalid?

because this is exactly the copy of what I have entered in the Arguments field:

-o:"C:\TES5LODGenOutput"

I also tried 

-o:"C:\TES5Edit Output"

-o:"C:\Games\TES5Edit Output"

-o:"D:\TES5Edit Output"

and i even tried to write the drive letters small.

none of this works, as soon as I try to start up TES5Edit via MO, i get that error message.

Edited by C4RN1F3XX

With the quotation marks? They are required. Slashes pointing the right way, as listed above?

Only other possibility I can think is maybe a permissions issue. I'm not sure whether that would show a different error, though.

It's all exactly as listed above.

I will try to start MO as admin though, let's see if this works.

UPDATE: Doesn't work. Still the same error. :/

Edited by C4RN1F3XX

So, basically for me setting an output folder is invalid?

because this is exactly the copy of what I have entered in the Arguments field:

-o:"C:\TES5LODGenOutput"

I also tried 

-o:"C:\TES5Edit Output"

-o:"C:\Games\TES5Edit Output"

-o:"D:\TES5Edit Output"

and i even tried to write the drive letters small.

none of this works, as soon as I try to start up TES5Edit via MO, i get that error message.

Did you create this directory before running TES5Edit?

I tried both 3.1.2 from the TES5Edit Nexus Page and 3.1.3 from the FO4Edit alpha page, both not working, even after redownloading..

both completely normally start up when i did not enter any argument, but as soon as the argumant contains the "-o:" prefix, i get that error code [267] saying the direction is invalid. tried everything you guys suggested so far. :/

is there a way to set the argument through tes5edit itself so i can just copy paste the needed files into the right directory?

Edited by C4RN1F3XX

... and yet it works without the switch.

As an experiment I re-did my DynDOLOD to see what would happen. Here are some snippets of the log:

Initial message from xEdit because the switch is missing:

[00:03] Background Loader: finished
Applying script...

DynDOLOD Worlds 1.46 using TES5LODGen by Ehamloptiran, Sheson and Zilav, starting...

[00:00:00.018]	********************************************************************
[00:00:00.026]	d:\steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\ Not allowed!
[00:00:00.031]	  Set the output path to a dedicated directory.
[00:00:00.037]	  It should be outside of the game and MO virtual file structure.
[00:00:00.043]	********************************************************************
[00:00:00.051]	Current output path is not allowed, resetting it to D:\Games\Utils\xEdit\Edit Scripts\Output\

Then the script just kicks in as it should and away I went.

Last lines of the log:

[00:32:04.811]	DynDOLOD Worlds completed successfully.
[Apply Script done]  Processed Records: 0, Elapsed Time: 32:37
[00:00] Saving: DynDOLOD.esp.save.2016_02_11_09_48_34
[00:01] Done saving.

A little over half an hour for a "High" detail version of all Skyrim LOD. Everything appears as it should and the only hint I get of a problem is the reminder above and the redirection to my xEdit folder.

Now I'll do the whole thing again with the switch re-instated.

EDIT:

Second run completed.

Log output is:

Applying script...

DynDOLOD Worlds 1.46 using TES5LODGen by Ehamloptiran, Sheson and Zilav, starting...

Here the script just starts without issue as MO had the switch in the arguments field like thus:

-o:"E:\Games\TES5Edit-DynDOLOD\"

Incidentally, this path is the one assigned to the second input field in the DynDOLOD UI for the output path.

xEdit runs the script and about the same time as before it finishes with this message:

[00:30:52.195]	Waiting for LODGen.exe to finish ...
[00:30:57.213]	LODGen.exe still seems to be running. Giving up waiting for it. Let it finish on its own. Then proceed as normal.
[00:30:57.256]	DynDOLOD Worlds completed successfully.
[Apply Script done]  Processed Records: 0, Elapsed Time: 32:02
[00:00] Saving: DynDOLOD.esp.save.2016_02_11_10_42_37
[00:00] Done saving.

Note: The output path in this second run was to a 2Tb HDD whereas the first run was to one of my SSDs. The LODGen.exe continued to run for several minutes after the actual script finished, as the log mentions. No doubt this is due to the slower drive.

Conclusion:

The switch applied to MO's argument field is the same as that assigned in DynDOLOD's UI so it can safely be omitted and then entered manually in the execution of the script.

However, this doesn't address the issue of the OP. So it would be helpful if you could post the paths to all the tools used in this scenarioa as well as logs from MO and xEdit. Delete any from previous runs to avoid large files. Either post them here inside spoiler tags or on a hosting service like PasteBin. Additionally your MO INI will help us see the relative paths to each.

The issue of permissions is still the primary culprit in my estimation.

EDIT:

Just had a lightbulb moment. Add a trailing backslash to the output field and see if it is recognised. Nope, makes no difference.