Photo

Performance Issues (after sleep mode, windows updates overnight)

performance fps load new game

Best Answer TirigonX , 10 February 2016 - 07:11 PM

I think I got it. It had nothing to do with Windows updates after all. It seems the latest Steam Beta update caused this issue. I opted out of the beta and now everything's back to normal.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BahamutZ

BahamutZ

Prisoner

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 04:53 PM

I am really frustrated today as I had a perfectly running Step Extended modded game (with some additional mods) setup fine before bed last night.  Running and playing well with perfectly normal FPS. Was just starting to play for real now.  I put computer into sleep mode.

The following morning, I realized that my system restarted due to windows updates and installed about 8 important updates.  I figured okay, fine no problem.

I go to start the game with SKSE, ENBoost.  All the normal STEP stuff.  I immediatelly see a loading cursor icon as the main menu loaded up.  I noticed the rotating main menu screen moving strangly.  Tried loading game and noticed something was wrong.  So I restarted with FRAPS and I see that my FPS immedialy comes up as 32, but right when the ENB information pops up on top, it drops down to about 8.   If I stay on the main menu for 30 seconds it will then go back to 60 fps (my monitor refresh rate).  If I start a new game, or load a saved game it will take about 5-10 minutes to load, and once it loads it is at like 1-2 fps, fraps will show 60 fps (with screen frozen), then it will go down to 1-2 fps again.  I then just ALT-F4 out.

So I did not add any mods or change any files upon stopping playing last night.  I uninstalled the updates that windows update installed along with using Driver Display Uninstaller  and reinstalling latest videocard driver.  No effect.

Could anyone give me some ideas on what could have happened or is happening?  Thank you.

Stats:

i7 950 3.6 oc

AMD 7950 3GB

12 gb gaming ram

SSD drive

LOOT

Edited by BahamutZ, 10 February 2016 - 05:06 PM.

#2 TirigonX

TirigonX

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 05:31 PM

These are the EXACT same issues I'm experiencing today. With ENB I suddenly get horrific FPS and incredibly long loading times. Yesterday everything was fine. Only way to fix it is to completely remove ENB files from Skyrim folder.

I also installed a lot of Windows updates yesterday. Seems like it has something to do with that. I had not updated Windows for several months, so I've installed a lot more updates. Could you check which 8 updates you've installed? You could then try to uninstall them 1 by 1 until it's back to normal. 

My specs:

i5 3570 @3.8Ghz

AMD Radeon R9 270X

8 GB RAM

SSD

Win 7 64bit

edit: ah didn't read you complete post, you've already uninstalled them all. Well that's weird, no idea what to do now.

Edited by TirigonX, 10 February 2016 - 05:37 PM.

#3 BahamutZ

BahamutZ

Prisoner

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 05:47 PM

Oh well good that I am not alone.

These were installed, of which I have since uninstalled to try to fix the problem:

https://imgur.com/QK0NU6w

Oh an it also installed Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool (KB890830).  cant seem to find that to remove though.  Not sure that would do anything though.

I did try removing ENB, but I just get a CTD when I move the four files out of my data folder.

So yours works without the ENB?  Maybe I need to find an official uninstaller manual and try reinstalling it.  I dont know.

Edited by BahamutZ, 10 February 2016 - 05:50 PM.

#4 TirigonX

TirigonX

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 06:02 PM

Hmm these updates were released yesterday. I just realized that I haven't even installed those yet. Did you really only install these updates? Or were there perhaps some older updates that got installed as well? 

#5 BahamutZ

BahamutZ

Prisoner

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 06:10 PM

Nah that is it, if the installed date is anything to go by.  I didnt install any optional updates either.  Shitload in there left untouched.

#6 TirigonX

TirigonX

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:11 PM   Best Answer

I think I got it. It had nothing to do with Windows updates after all. It seems the latest Steam Beta update caused this issue. I opted out of the beta and now everything's back to normal.

#7 BahamutZ

BahamutZ

Prisoner

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:26 PM

Wow. Yep that is it.  I would never have expected that.  I barely even recall clicking on the update, but I guess i did. 

How did you find that out?

#8 TirigonX

TirigonX

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:35 PM

Well, I figured it must have been caused by something that got updated recently. And Steam gets updated quite frequently, especially if beta is enabled. So I just gave it a try.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: performance, fps, load, new game

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users